India Calling 2009 in Brussels
Brussels witnessed one of the biggest Trade and Business Summits ever held in Europe. The theme of the Summit called “India – Europe Business Partnership Summit”, within the framework of “India Calling 2009” was held from 30th September to 2nd October 2009, and was attended by more than 250 business leaders and young entrepreneurs from India and Europe. The Conference was being organized by the Indian Merchants’ Chamber in partnership with the Europe India Chamber of Commerce and was held in the Hotel Conrad, Brussels, Hotel Sheraton, Brussels and in the Hotel Hilton Tower, Brussels. Like earlier Conferences, this Conference too was supported by the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs and the Ministry of Commerce of the Government of India. Since 2004 the IMC has been successfully organizing the India Calling Conferences abroad with enthusiastic participation from Industry, Government and Overseas Investors. The penultimate India Calling Conference was held in Toronto and Vancouver in 2008.
The Objectives of the Conference were:
- To build an all round strategic business partnership between India and EU in general and India and Belgium in particular, and also to address the institutional and policy framework of India-EU cooperation on emerging issues.
- To identify and focus particular areas of potential cooperation between Indian and European business and also to develop and strengthen effective mechanism for bilateral exchange of views on joint ventures and technological cooperation in the wake of current global economic scenario.
- To project India and EU as attractive investment destinations with unlimited trade and business opportunities between the two partners, and also to provide platform for the SME’s from EU countries to meet and interact with each other to identify new areas of business interest including technical collaboration and joint ventures in various sunrise sectors.
- To enthuse the Indian Diaspora in Europe especially those who have made their mark as entrepreneurs and successful business leaders in Europe to help strengthen the bonds between India and the other EU countries, and to forge new mutually enforcing economic and commercial links in this endeavour.
There has been, due to better knowledge and understanding of each other over the years, a significant development in the relationship between European Union and India. As a result of growing mutuality of interest, there has also been increasing deepening of trade and economic links in areas such as energy, pharmaceutical and biotechnology, science and technology and tourism. Although EU and India have entered a new era of relationship with the Strategic Partnership Agreement, scope of strengthening this partnership depends upon grater interaction between Indian and European business community. It is against this backdrop the IMC/EICC Trade and Business summit was held in Brussels from 30th September to 2nd October 2009
Indian Merchants’ Chamber is a premier Chamber of Commerce of Trade, Commerce and Industry in India. Set up in 1907. IMC has over 5000 companies as members which include members of Ladies’ Wing and Young Entrepreneurs’ Wing. Today, its brand speaks of its strong association with 230 trade and industry associations. IMC, an ISO 9001 organization has gradually emerged itself as one of the major international chambers from India. It has signed 108 MoUs with difference Chambers of Commerce in 50 Countries. IMC has been conferred with a rare honour of having the father of nation, the late Mahatma Gandhi, as its honorary member.
IMC reaches out internationally through its flagship event ‘India Calling’ annual Conferences. India Calling Programme brings investment and trade Opportunities in its target countries and in India to the attention of business and political leaders.
In order to make contribution to globalization of Indian economy and serving Indian companies, who would like to do more businesses with their counterparts and foreign companies to do business with Indian businesspersons, IMC has set up its Overseas Representative Offices in Singapore and Dubai. Thus IMC is seen as a global player by the business community in India and abroad.
The areas covered in the Conference are: Pharmaceutical, Biotech and Healthcare; Information Technology, BPO and telecom; Energy (Conventional, renewable and nuclear); Education; Finance and Banking; India EU Strategic Partnership; Role of Indian Diaspora in India – Europe trade and Economic Relations; Logistics Management and Infrastructure Development in India. In addition there were also Sessions on “Doing Business with select EU countries” and on “Doing Business with select Indian States”.
Presentations from the conference
Wednesday, September 30, 2009 (Hotel Conrad, Avenue Louise 71, Brussels 1050)
- Mr. Gul Kripalani, President, Indian Merchants’ Chamber
- Ms. Virginie Michielsen, Vice-President, Belgo-Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
Thursday, October 1, 2009 (Hotel Sheraton (Salles des Nations) – Place Rogier, 3 Brussels 1210
Session I : Role of Indian Diaspora in India-Europe Trade and Economic Relations
Session II : India EU Strategic Partnership
- Mr. Sunil Prasad, Secretary General, Europe India Chamber of Commerce
Session III : Investment Opportunities in Indian States
Presentation by the State of Maharashtra
- Mr. G S Gill, Vice-Chairman & Mg. Director, CIDCO
- Ms.Malini Shankar Development Commissioner (Industries), Government of Maharashtra
- Dr. Kshatrapati Shivaji, CEO, Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation
Session IV : IT, BPO and Telecom
- Mr. Sunil Surya, President-Europe, Hexaware Technologies Ltd.
- Mr. Hemakiran Gupta, Country Manager, TATA Consultancy Services, Belgium
- Dr. P Sekhar, Chairman & Managing Director, Micro Technologies (India) Ltd.
Session V : Logistics Management and Infrastructure Development in India
- Mr. Rahul Asthana, Chairman, Mumbai Port Trust
- Mr. Marc Van Peel, President and Vice Mayor, Antwerp Port Authority, Belgium
- Mr. Ravi K Mehrotra, CBE, Executive Chairman, Foresight Group, UK
- Mr. Krishna Kumar, Managing Director, Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services Ltd.
- Mr. R Y Gaikwad (IAS), Metropolitan Commissioner, Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority
Session VI : Financial Services: Setting Standards and Building Confidence
- Mr. Erik Famaey, Senior Regional Manager, Wholesale Banking, ING Bank
- Mr. Somak Ghosh, Group President-Corporate Finance & Development Banking, Yes Bank Ltd.
Friday, October 2, 2009 (Hotel Hilton, 38, Boulevard de Waterloo, 1000 Brussels)
Session VII : Education
- Prof. Frits van Merode, University of Maastricht
- Mr. J S Saharia, (IAS), Principal Secretary, Higher & Technical Education, Govt. of Maharashtra
- Dr. Indu Shahani, Sheriff of Mumbai & Principal, H. R. College of Commerce & Economics
Session VIII A : Bilateral Business Opportunities and Country presentations
Presentation on Spain :
- Mr. Juan Manuel Revuelta, Director General, Region of Valencia Foundation in Brussels
- Mr. Rafael de la Cuadra, Secretary General, Federation of Construction companies
- Mr. Jai Nanwani, Lawyer – Special presentation by PWC-Euro-India Business Group (EIBG) Perspectives
- Mr. Sudhanshu Karandikar, India Desk, PriceWaterhouseCoopers
Presentation on The Netherlands :
- Mr. Gopal Ramnathan, Chairman, KPMG High Growth Markets Practice and Chairman India Group, Dutch Trade Board
Presentation on Italy :
- Gianni, Origoni, Grippo & Partners , Italy
- Presentation by Mr. Anil Harish, Director, D M Harish and Co.
Session VIII B : Bilateral Business Opportunities and Country presentations
Presentation on France :
- Mr. Thierry Petry, Business Development Director, Moselle Economic Development Agency
- Mr. Philippe Leclerc, Chairman, Proximum Group
- Mr. MichelGilbert , Invest in France
- Ms. Marie Buhot-Launay, Paris Region Economic Development Agency & INEA Consulting, France
Presentation on UK :
- Mr. Uday K. Dholakia, OBE, Chairman, European Centre for Indian Business – Loughborough University
Presentation on Luxembourg.
- Presentation by Mr. Haresh Jagtiani, Chairman, Haresh Jagtiani & Associates.
IMC Ladies’ Wing Women’s conference [Parellel Sessions]
21st Century Business Women : Cross Border Networking for Success
- Ine Lejeune, Global Indirect Taxes Network Leader, PriceWaterHouseCoopers
- Poonam Barua, WILL Forum India
Session X : Pharma, Biotech & Healthcare
- Mr. Ranjit Shahani , Mg. Director & Vice-Chairman, Novartis India Ltd.
- Baron Dr. Ajit Shetty, Chairman, Janssen Pharmaceutica
- Mrs. Elisabeth Hervier, CEO, International Drug Licensing (IDL), France
Session XI : Energy (Conventional, renewable and nuclear)
- Ms. Angellika Pullen, Communications Director, Global Wind Energy Council
- Mr. Sushil Handa, Chairman, Abellon CleanEnergy Ltd, India
- Mr. Philippe Poux , Business Development VP, Renewable Energies, Areva
- Mr. Geir Westgaard, Vice-President, Head of StatoilHydro’s EU Affairs Office